Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cream of Asparagus Soup

It occurred to me as I was cooking today that I don't think I've ever used a recipe for Dad all on its own. I adapt everything! That's why I write them down here.

Dad brought home some asparagus for our Easter dinner - but we had already bought some. "Maybe I should make you some asparagus soup" I said, and his reply was "THAT'S my favorite!" So here we are.

Cream of Asparagus Soup
  • 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 pound fresh asparagus, chopped, reserve the tips
  • 1 potato, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 3 ribs celery, chopped
  • 2 cups soy milk
  • 1/2 package soft tofu
  • 1/4 tsp dried tarragon
  • salt and pepper to taste
In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Add the asparagus, potato, onion and celery and reduce heat to medium low.

Simmer for 25 - 30 minutes.

Pour the soup into a blender or food processor and blend until almost smooth. Return soup to saucepan and add everything else except the asparagus tips. I used an immersion blender rather than a regular one, and used it after I added everything but the asparagus tips.

Add the asparagus tips after blending.

Allow to simmer until thick, approximately another 8-10 minutes.

No comments: