Friday, February 27, 2009

Cream of Spinach Soup

I was in a spinachy sort of mood tonight and went searching for a soup recipe. Everything I found either didn't look so great or required stuff I didn't have, so I used 3 different recipes as a reference and made up my own. Dad loved it, and so did I!

Cream of Spinach Soup

1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 Tbsp. olive oil

Saute the veggies until translucent. Add:

5 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning (we use Slap Ya Mama. No sugar or MSG)
1 Tbsp. Braggs or soy sauce

Simmer for 20 minutes, then add:

16 oz. frozen spinach
3/4 cup cooked quinoa

Bring back to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.

Puree the soup (I use a stick blender). Stir in 1-1/2 cups milk of your choice (I used rice milk), optional. If you would like thicker soup, whisk in some potato flakes. Or, you could add a potato or two to the soup from the start.

Taste and adjust seasonings. I added more salt, and some cayenne pepper.

I didn't think it needed any potato flakes. The quinoa thickened it up nicely, added a ton of great protein and the taste went very well with the spinach.

Next time I'll add 2 or 3 celery stalks to the veggies, and maybe some kale.

No comments: